Presented by Dr David McNamara and Dr Rob Burrell on Thursday 30 November 2023. Starship Hospital paediatric respiratory and sleep medicine specialist, Dr McNamara, discusses how asthma:
- is not a trivial diagnosis and must be diagnosed correctly in children
- disparities for Māori and Pasifika should be actively managed
- diagnosis and management requires repeated review
- control, adherence, and inhaler technique should be reviewed at every visit
- AIR/SMART therapy can reduce exacerbations and may be first line for some.
As clinical lead of the Te Whatu Ora climate change group, Middlemore Hospital anaesthetist Dr Burrell then discusses the impact of inhaler propellants on the environment, and how we can minimise this.
Recording coming soon.